onsdag 27 oktober 2010

zup m8?

     I have always found it highly annoying when the Swedish language is violated and used incorrectly in texting as well as on the internet. I am never late to tell someone to stop raping the Swedish language and i despise the outrageous number of made up unnecessary abbreviations that are so common nowadays.
     However, when it comes to the English language it is a completely different story. I think it is traced back to when i first learned English in third grade, and i was playing the online role playing game rune scape. I am not saying i didn't learn English in school, but it was not the biggest influence on me at the time. So it happened that I grew quite fond of the many abbreviations and the cryptic slang of the world wide web, since it was all I knew back then.
     I find it sad that for some it becomes hard to separate the English used on the net from the "correct" English that is recommended to use when trying to make a serious impression, and that is very unfortunate. That is probably one of the biggest downsides of the careless use of English on the internet, if that is truly all you know, then it will be what you use not only online, but also in "real" life, and that's where it gets problematic, because if you write an email to your boss saying "gtg afk 4 some weeks ok thx c ya" you will probably not brb so soon.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Some very insightful remarks, Tove - of course it is perfectly alright sometimes to play with the language (even Swedish=)), just as it sometimes it completely out of place. With you, however, I am not worried in the least. -I have to confess that I didn't get "afk" and "brb"...

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks for straightening those questions marks for me..;)

    SvaraRadera