onsdag 17 november 2010

it's not the fart that kills, it's the smäll


During my years as an English speaker I have often thought about how cool it would be to have a fancy British accent, or speak just as casually ghetto as in some American movies,  not to mention the day when me and a friend imitated an Irish accent, making teachers and friends miserable and frustrated. Their anger might have had something to do with the fact that we sounded somewhat like a couple of robots who could roll their r:s and laughed between every word an I seriously doubt that if we had not told them that it was an Irish accent we were imitating they would have got it. Still, it was hilarious and I have dreamed a little of a real Irish accent ever since.
Still my goal for my English speaking is not so much getting a nice accent as loosing the one I have right now. The one wish that I truly have for my pronunciation is to be able to speak without giving away that my mother tongue is Swedish. The melody of speaking that comes with the Swedish, that I don't mind. It is when I pronounce English words as if they were written in Swedish and when my Skanian r:s flow in with my English that I really despise. Loosing that accent where my goal is at, and whatever other dialect I might have when I get there, I can deal with then.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar